Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Self Confidence

If your like me, you tend to struggle with self confidence. I bash on myself so much that most of the time my day ends with me feeling guilty about every little thing about myself, such as body shape, size or looks. But then also ends with me emotionally eating and doing nothing about any of it to change. I have been reading some things about building self confidence and working on keeping that confidence level up. I have seen a slight change and have realized a lot more about self confidence and what it can do then I ever thought. I wanted to share some of them with you.


6 ways to boost your self confidence:

1 - Set Goals:
It is important that you set goals for yourself by first setting small goals, making it easier for you to accomplish, therefore giving you the confidence to set more goals and much frequent ones. Once you start setting much bigger and important goals in life, make sure they are realistic and accomplishable. Setting goals provides you with a feeling of belonging and a sense of direction and accomplishment. Think more positively and try focusing on what your strengths are as opposed to just your weaknesses. We all have weaknesses – there is nothing to feel bad about as at the same time we all uniquely excel at something or the other.

I struggle with this step because I find myself wanting to do everything all at once. But you got to realize that things including change TAKE TIME. Make a goal list of 3 MAIN things you want to change or accomplish and set a date you want to have them complete. This date can be 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. These goals are the ones that will get you kick started. Before you know it, you will making smaller goals to achieve throughout the day.

2 - Gratitude:
When you dwell on things you don’t have, it’s like focusing on your weaknesses. Instead, focus on all the things you do have. Spend time each day mentally listing everything you have to be grateful for. List your past successes, unique skills, loving relationships, and positive momentum. You’ll be amazed how much you have going for you and motivated to take that next step towards success.

This is another one that I struggle with. I always want more or better. Lately, I have been trying to keep in mind that "If it is supposed to happen, it WILL happen." My husband gets frustrated with me sometimes because I get something and then I am not happy with it because I don't have the "next best thing." Be grateful for what you have, because without you doing what you do, you wouldn't have anything. The last few days, I have been writing in a journal and writing everything I am thankful for on each journal entry. It kind of puts in perspective what I do have and also makes me realize that some people don't have what I have, such as a family, friends. a good job, a running vehicle and a roof over my head. It may not be the newest or greatest house, but I have a roof over my head and a place that I am kept warm. 

3 - Compliment Others:
It’s old news that when someone is hurtful to others, they are probably unhappy themselves. So, stop thinking negatively about yourself, because you’ll likely project that feeling onto others via gossip and insults. Instead, get in the habit of praising other people. Refuse to entertain gossip and make an effort to compliment others instead. By focusing on the best in others, you’ll indirectly bring out the best in yourself.

I don't know about you,  but when I get a good compliment, it makes me feel so good. There have been days that I have felt so horrible about myself and just down. Then I get that one nice compliment that switches my attitude like that. Just one simple. you look great or you look like you have lost weight or your always so happy. can go a LOOONG way. So why not share those compliments with others. You never know when they might need a personal boost. 

4 - Exercise:
Physical fitness has a huge effect on self-confidence. If you’re out of shape, you’ll feel it. By working out, you’ll not only improve your appearance and health, but you’ll energize yourself and accomplish something positive. Plus, you’ll gain all those feel-good endorphins. Having the discipline to work out regularly will make you feel better, and you’ll have the positive momentum to move forward with other goals.

I know this is a big one for me. I have struggle with my weight for a few years now and it just makes me so frustrated and drives me crazy. But somehow I always come up with an excuse to not workout and eat healthy. Lately, I have decided I need to do something that holds me responsible for showing up. A lady in our community started doing a workout class twice a week. I paid the $25 for 10 times and I have been going. To me, having her or someone else that has taken the class, ask me if I am coming, makes me want to go 10x more. I feel like if I don't show up I will let them down. Granted I didn't go yesterday because of a headache but other than that I have not missed a class. I do feel better, it has made me realize a couple goals that I want to accomplish. 

5- Positive thoughts:
You need to stop playing yourself down with your own words! If you don’t think much of yourself, how can you possibly expect others to?  Do you often use phrases such as ‘I can’t’; ‘Not sure’; ‘Maybe’? Do you often use these phrases in the hopes that someone or the other will challenge you and tell you that you are wrong? Stop right now if that’s the case!  You need to actually believe in yourself by talking positively.


Like I said before, everyone likes a good compliment every once in awhile. So why not give yourself one too. Be positive, yes I know we all have negative days, but be positive. The more positive you are the greater that outlook on not only your day but your life. 

6 - Spoil yourself: 
Sometimes, we just deserve to spoil ourselves. I HATE, HATE, HATE going clothes shopping. It depresses me. But sometimes you NEED to do. For me, yes it does depress me but in the long run, it kind of motivates me to. 

So there you have it... There are my top 6 ways to build your self confidence. Now I haven't changed completely yet, but my outlook on all of it has started to change. Remember it's not a temporary change it's a permanent and can take awhile. Like they say, "It takes 21 days to break a habit but only 3 days to make one."



BeYOUtifuLly Teeing Off,



No comments:

Post a Comment